Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Wasn't ready for that wave....

The sun finally came out!!  Every time we talk to Jimmy the sun comes out.  He will quickly become my new best friend.

The morning we finally admitted defeat to the weather was about the 3rd day of the doom and gloom.  Steph and I woke up around 8 and started getting ready.  I even ate breakfast (is Australia turning me into a real grownup??)  We put on our trainers, yup im turning british, and our workout clothes and set off to walk from Bondi Beach to Coogee Beach.  Its a coastal walk that is suppossed to take about 2 hours one way and then, according to our old roommate Franny, duhhhh you take the bus back.  Well, as soon as we got outside we realized it was raining and then after about 30 minutes we realized it was raining hard and then we were soaking wet.  Good thing I was wearing my dry-fit workout clothes!  too bad for Steph the UK hasnt invented that yet.    I only had my phone, for pics, and some money for a possible lunch and then bus fare.  It really was beautiful and we went through Waverly Cemetary which is this cemetary (duh) with headstones that all stick up with crosses and theres family vaults and they are all on this cliff facing the ocean.  There was a huge one too that was from 1798 or something and paid for by the Irish citizens and sympathizers in Australia for one man and his wife.  We couldn't figure out who they were or why the Irish cared or why IF the Irish cared they would build a vault for them in Australia. 
Then we got to Coogee and realized it was only 11 and we had just eaten breakfast.  Plus the restaurants and lunch places were barely even open so we decided to just grab the bus and make sandwhiches back at the hostel.  Did I say we moved yet?   Its a cool place with our own mini fridge so we got groceries now :)

Then we went down and looked in Bondi Ink.  Yeah like Miami Ink and LA Ink with Kat Von D.  They have a show for it here too!  Everyone there is super nice and we chatted with the guy behind the counter, Jimmy, and then the sun came out!  He has magical powers because we went and saw him this morning too and as soon as we left the sun came out full force!  Back into our bikinis and we were on the beach.  I even fell asleep in the sand until Steph woke me up so I wouldn't burn.  She's a companion of quality too   [Thats what her dad called me :)] 

Last night for dinner we ate at the Hungry Czech.  That was an experience.  Who would have thought I'd come all the way to Sydney and eat some Eastern European food.  It was good but I don't think I'll go back.  A tad expensive and the busses stop on the street so that the back of the bus is right out front of the restaurant, right where we're eating. 

Tonight we're going down to the hotel, and only place to go out in Bondi, to check out a couple of bands.  I hope we make it to this event because we missed crab racing last night. 

Also there is this thing called Bowl-A-Rama at the skate park on Saturday so everyone is out practicing now and all these little kids can do crazy jumps and tricks and slides on the side and some of them aren't wearing any helmets or padding and the only thing I can think is, Where is their mother? and When is their curfew?
Sidenote:
Before I speak, people think I'm Irish.  After I speak, everyone KNOWS I'm American. 
Steph says she likes just listening to my accent (uhh I don't have an accent...?) and the things I say.  Apparenlty I'm a stereotypical American.  I don't hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment